Oct 24, 2010

I'm Sorry for Taking So Long


    Thank you for attempting to spend time with me and my brothers. I now know something about how hard your life was. I can remember you telling me, "If you wanna go fishin' with me, you betta' do it soon before I pass away." I would always respond with, “Grandma please stop talking like that, we've got plenty of time.” The you passed away. We never ended up going fishing and I know that was something that you loved to do, and I knew then I should have just gone with you. I know I should have just dealt with the mosquito's that early in the morning just to spend some more time with you but I didn't, I took "OUR" time for granted, you have always been there when I was young.

    Your silence made me feel uneasy and what's odd is that silence is something that is apart of me; some people find it unsettling. At the time I didn't understand but now when I write this letter to you I can feel it, the difference is for me is it no longer feels unsettling. I know that you had a very different life than I had but I find it interesting the things that I've picked up from you through that silence. For instance the time when you showed me how to cool off on a hot day, by taking a cold face rag and sit in front of the fan. So for all the times that I do go fishing, I will think of you when I see the calm waters. I love and miss you Grand-ma'.

    She passed away back in my mid-teens this is just something that I have been carrying around with me since then, thats a long long long time for a apology. For the woman who taught me to sip the last of really good kool-aid slowly,

                           I love you - your grand son

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Simply Beautiful.